Week One of Tech One - Whee!

Hi Colleagues!

I hope you're enjoying the gorgeous weather this week. I'm trying to wrap my head around the materials and requirements for our Tech 1 course. A brand new Chromebook! Wow! So appreciated!

I read Chapter 9 of Web 2.0 How-to for Educators this morning and although some of the terms went right over my head and some of the tools sounded off (Bing is an intelligent search engine? And the copyright of our text is 2010?), there were a lot of good ideas here.

Page 162's claim that "object recognition, natural language and smart searching of the semantic web" will improve student searches was a thought-provoking idea.

I loved the article about Bloom's Taxonomy for Web 2.0. Cool way to look at the new set of actions we want from students.

Now I'm off to email Jason about my Atomic Learning test.

Eager to read your comments and post some of my own.

Take care,
Cindy Fey

Comments

  1. Great job on your blog Cynthia Fey! How in the world did you get your reading list to appear on your blog's main page?
    I'm trying to figure out how to do it and have been thoroughly unable to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally figured out that I could access this feature under the "design" and "layout" menus.

      Delete
    2. You got it, Sarah! And then I added a gadget in the sidebar. The cool thing about Blogger is that the gadgets are pre-formatted. I don't really know the difference between a "gadget" and a "widget" - anyone? Another thing to add to my Google research list, but anyway, I like to also add in the sidebar links to other blogs I like and current projects. Sort of non-profit/educational advertising.

      Delete
    3. That's neat! Thanks for the layout pointers.
      I just realized that I never commented on the content of your blog...
      In your opinion, how do object recognition and natural language positively impact student's searches?

      Delete
    4. Regarding your widget vs. gadget query, I found a website that delineates the difference as follows:

      "The easiest way to explain it is that a gadget is any widget that is not a widget. Sound confusing?

      A widget is a piece of reusable code that you can plug into virtually any website. A gadget acts just like a widget, often fulfilling the same purpose, but it is proprietary. It only works on a certain website or a specific set of websites.

      For example, Google Gadgets can look and act like widgets. But they only work on Google pages.

      A widget, on the other hand, works on any page that lets you add an HTML block. You can put them on your blog, or your personalized start page, or your personal website."

      Hope this helps:) I was wondering the same thing!

      source: http://webtrends.about.com/od/widgets/a/widgetgadget.htm

      Delete
    5. You answered my question! Thanks, Sarah! Cool.

      Delete
  2. Good job Cynthia! I am impressed with how many tools you are already employing in your profession. It is obvious that you are doing a great job communicating and using your computer skills. I am interested in learning more about how to do so, especially linking to linkedin. I'm also impressed in how you have blogged for almost 15 years. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Storytelling - An Epic Task!

Digital Citizenship Lesson Activity and Reflection